Fun Manatee Facts and Information
Manatees are the big lovable lugs of marine mammal life. Not sleek like dolphins – or as intelligent – but no dummies either. Unlike sharks, they’re practically cuddly (approach a manatee gently on one of our manatee tours and it may turn over and ask for a belly scratch!).
If you love manatees as much as we love manatees (and we’re positive you’ll become a raving fan once you meet them), then we know you’ll want to learn as much as possible about these wonderful gentle giants.
Read below for some “fun” facts about manatees.
- Average Manatee 10ft long weighing 800-1200 pounds.
- They have been known to reach 13 ft and 3500 pounds.
- When born they are 3-4 ft long and 60-70 pounds.
- Manatees are herbivores meaning plant eating animals.
- Manatees replace worn teeth throughout their lifetime.
- Manatees have fairly good vision and can distinguish between colors.
- Manatees cannot survive in temperatures below 68 degrees (20 Celsius).
- Manatees spend 6-8 hours a day feeding.
- Manatees surface for air every 3-5 minutes.
- Manatees do not form permanent bonds when breeding.
- Manatees can stay submerged up to 20 minutes.
- Females mature for breeding at about 5 years old and 8 years old for males.
- On average one calf is born every 5 years.
- Gestation period is about 1 year long
- Mothers nurse young for up to 2 years.
- Manatees may live as long as 60 years.
- Manatees do not have eyelashes.
- Manatees prefer water 3-7 feet deep.
- Manatees range from Virginia to Texas and one was documented in Rhode Island. (Very rare).
- Manatees eat 10% to 15% of their body weight each day.
- Manatees are an endangered species.
We offer Manatee Tours year round. Click Here for Info on our Winter Manatee Tours!
For more interesting manatee information, click here!
Our 1st Class Manatee Tour!
Private manatee tour from 2-6 guests. Enclosed Houseboat, heated in Winter. Swimming with manatees in several springs. Continental Breakfast, snacks, beverages. FREE Hotel Room - Ask Captain Mike for details! YEAR ROUND. 8 AM Only.
The Best Scalloping Tour
Enjoy a peaceful day on the water, scalloping in the Crystal River Florida area. Scalloping Tour is $65/Per Person, No Minimum, Includes Fishing License, Mask, Fins and Snorkel